Thursday 15 January 2015

Maddy Smith Memorial Exhibition

 Went to the preview last night, and was impressed.. I only knew Maddy later in her life, when she had ceased to make the ceramics that were her life's work in many ways, and by the time I met her, she had almost nothing of this work left, so I only met most of it for the first time yesterday.  Maddy was my student, and I think, my friend, in the last 7 or 8 years of her life, and she caught textiles and working with fabrics in a big way.
 She was always a good influence, never seeming to need reassurance that what she made was Art and Worth Doing, and this is refreshing.. And she could take a method or a technique and run away with it. transforming the result in her own way
 The exhibition is at the Anteros Gallery, 7-15 Fye Bridge Street, Norwich, every day until Saturday 24th January (not Sunday 18th) from 9 till 5 each day
 There are things to buy, as well as look at, and some really splendid work has been loaned.
Please go, if you can.. this is it..